Migrants in Sicily - the monitoring project of Borderline Sicilia Onlus and borderline-europe
The already difficult situation of refugees and migrants in Italy and especially in Sicily has been exacerbated by the outbreak of the Corona pandemic. Although the amendment of the "Salvini Decrees" has finally been tackled, so that e.g. accommodation in so called SPRAR centers (with a new name, SAI) will once again be possible for asylum seekers, but many problems remain unresolved.
Since 2011, monitoring, i.e. surveillance and observation of the situation, but also advocacy has been one of the core tasks of our sister association Borderline Sicilia Onlus. Arrivals, the situation of the centres, access to the asylum procedure are just some of the areas on which reports are published in three languages.
All materials and reports on the trilingual homepage of Borderline Sicilia:
A project of Borderline Sicilia Onlus and borderline-europe, supported by the Protestant Church in the Rhineland.
From the year 2021 you will also find all English articles here:
From the year 2020 you will also find all English articles here. Due to the reconstruction of the Borderline Sicilia website, all texts have to be moved first. Please excuse if some of the texts are not yet available.
- The Christmas holidays and the solitude of the invisible, 30.12.2020
- Unaccompanied foreign minors on quarantine ships: Sicilian associations demand the immediate evacuation, 20.11.2020
- Quarantined migrants and unequal lives, 18.11.2020 (English 26.11.2020)
- Diakité’s lesson, 29.10.2020
- Lives on the margins: unaccompanied foreign minors in Sicily, 10.10.2020
- Don't call it a welcome, 08.09.2020
- Sicily in the network of resistance and solidarity of the European Caravan 2020, 07.09.2020
- Complaints from inside Pian del Lago: Conditions at reception center worsen, 25.08.2020
- Talking about Immigration in Sicily, 06.08.2020
- Migrants, a summer filled with abuses and denied rights - 31.07.2020
- Cassibile and the structural "emergency" of the illegal recruitment of underpaid agricultural workers - 30.06.2020
- Crossing the Mediterranean to become "crazy" - 12.06.2020
- The Fires of Lampedusa - 07.06.2020
- In times of the pandemic human rights are put under quarantine as well - 18.04.2020
- Family Reunifications for Refugees: A Procedure only ‚alleviated‘ on Paper - 16.04.2020
- Free #ElHiblu3: An alliance of human rights activists calls on Malta to drop the charges against three young refugees - 28.03.2020
- Covid-19. The impact on the rights of foreign citizens and the necessary protective measures - 25.03.2020
- The Coronavirus Emergency and the Racism Generated by Ignorance - 20.03.2020
- The repatriation center of Caltanissetta must be closed. Appeal of the realities of the Sicilian network NoCpr and LasciateCIEntrare - 03.03.2020
- CPR of Caltanissetta: a Tunisian boy dies and protests erupt, 12.01.2020