Migrants in Sicily - the monitoring project of Borderline Sicilia Onlus and borderline-europe
The new regulations, introduced by the so-called Security Decree and later converted into law, have had significant actual or perceived consequences for the lives of refugees and migrants* in Italy since their entry into force (5 October 2018). The reduction of the Protection System for Asylum Seekers and Refugees (SPRAR), the so-called Secondary Accommodation, renamed the Protection System for Holders of International Protection and for Unaccompanied Foreign Minors (SIPROIMI), has made the situation of asylum seekers even more complex. This is particularly true for vulnerable persons and holders of humanitarian protection titles who are excluded from reception.
Since 2011, monitoring, i.e. surveillance and observation of the situation, but also advocacy has been one of the core tasks of our sister association Borderline Sicilia Onlus. Arrivals, the situation of the centres, access to the asylum procedure are just some of the areas on which reports are published in three languages.
All materials and reports on the trilingual homepage of Borderline Sicilia:
A project of Borderline Sicilia Onlus and borderline-europe, supported by the Protestant Church in the Rhineland.
From the year 2020 you will also find all English articles here:
- Unaccompanied foreign minors on quarantine ships: Sicilian associations demand the immediate evacuation, 20.11.2020
- Diakité’s lesson, 29.10.2020
- Lives on the margins: unaccompanied foreign minors in Sicily, 10.10.2020
- Don't call it a welcome, 08.09.2020
- Sicily in the network of resistance and solidarity of the European Caravan 2020, 07.09.2020
- Complaints from inside Pian del Lago: Conditions at reception center worsen, 25.08.2020
- Talking about Immigration in Sicily, 06.08.2020
- Migrants, a summer filled with abuses and denied rights - 31.07.2020
- Cassibile and the structural "emergency" of the illegal recruitment of underpaid agricultural workers - 30.06.2020
- Crossing the Mediterranean to become "crazy" - 12.06.2020
- The Fires of Lampedusa - 07.06.2020
- In times of the pandemic human rights are put under quarantine as well - 18.04.2020
- Family Reunifications for Refugees: A Procedure only ‚alleviated‘ on Paper - 16.04.2020
- Free #ElHiblu3: An alliance of human rights activists calls on Malta to drop the charges against three young refugees - 28.03.2020
- Covid-19. The impact on the rights of foreign citizens and the necessary protective measures - 25.03.2020
- The Coronavirus Emergency and the Racism Generated by Ignorance - 20.03.2020
- The repatriation center of Caltanissetta must be closed. Appeal of the realities of the Sicilian network NoCpr and LasciateCIEntrare - 03.03.2020
- CPR of Caltanissetta: a Tunisian boy dies and protests erupt, 12.01.2020